Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Teamwork and Communication Process through CG1413



As our CG1413 module draws to an end, it is time for us to reflect on what we have learnt from this journey. It has been a challenging and intense module, requiring much consistent effort, but I have learnt many life-skills from it which I will be able to apply to my life for many years to come, making me a better communicator and team-player.

Through the two projects we had to work on, I was able to put the principles of teamwork and communication to practice. I learnt how to work together well as a team, and that what constitutes a good team member is the level of contribution to the project and how much support we show for each other’s work. Understanding each of our strengths and weaknesses helped us work better as a team. I believe that my teams showed strong rapport and worked well together.

The two presentations I had to do helped me understand the difference between an informative presentation, as opposed to a persuasive presentation. I realized the importance of catering to my target audience during the presentation. I learnt how to field questions on the spot, which required me to be well-prepared. Through the video-recording of our presentations and meetings, I realized that my body-language needed to be improved on. Using the right gestures, voice modulation, and eye contact helped me make my presentations much better. I believe that my confidence to present my ideas to a group of people has increased, and I find the feedback received highly beneficial.

I applied the 7 Cs of good writing to the blog assignments and reflection reports, which helped me reflect on various topics and practice concise and clear writing habits. Commenting on others’ blogs helped me to hone an analytical mind, giving constructive criticism. In addition, the group projects honed my problem-solving skills. Through brainstorming and conducting extensive primary and secondary research, I was able to improve my research skills. As class participation was crucial to our learning process in this module, I was more outspoken and participated during class discussions and asked more questions.

I have enjoyed taking this module, as it closely relates to my daily life, and I will try my best to apply the skills I learnt to further aid me in my other group projects and future career aspirations.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Renuka,

    You did a good job to reflect what you have learnt and improved during this module (it is nice to know that you have improved a lot). But you did not talk about your weaknesses and strengths. In addition, you might add what you need to improve in future.

    For the reflection on the assignments, you are successful to analyze your improvements in different areas and state your points clearly. I also agree that the module has long-term effects on our performance in the future.

    In brief, your post is detailed and impressive. Keep it up!

    PS: Good luck with the exams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Renuka

    Your post was impressive and you have covered quite a lot of learning points for this module. That is great. However, you may want to consider the following points for your blog post:
    1. You could have talked about your weaknesses and strengths that you have discovered of yourself while working in teams.
    2. You could have talked more about the areas of improvement.

    I also agree with you that CG1413 has taught us quite a number a life skills which may come in handy for our future modules or in other aspects. These life skills are skills that we may not be able to learn from taking any other core modules.

    Overall, your post was impressive and interesting. All the Best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Renuka:

    I enjoyed taking the module too just like you=] I also think effective communication is very vital to our daily lives and this module has equipped us with the relavant skills that enables us to become a better teamplayer and also a more effective speaker. Here are just some points on your post to share with you:

    1. I think your evaluation is a big too comprehensive. it looks like you are listing down things you have learnt in the module without elaboration. For example, instead of telling us that you have better understood the principles of teamwork and communication (and that contribution and mutual support are important), you may want to write more about how you actually put what you have learnte into practice (like using a real-life example?) Maybe it will help us better understand how this module hones your analytical skills and enables you to think more critically if you provide some examples. (and even better if compared with your performance before taking this module) people need to emphathize and relate what they are reading to their persoanl experiences in order to remember them.

    2. i think your point on persuasive and informative presentation is very insightful. I believe that very few of us did persuasive presentation before and there was little understanding of this term among us. Even after Ms Happy clearly indicated the importance of the 3 key personnels present during presentation, many of us still didnt manage to acknowledge their presence as it did in the case of our group who simply treated our most important target, Dr Tan, as a transparent person. I think we all should reflect on our performance during OP2 and better understand the key elements that we should incorporate when we want to sell our ideas.

    3. I think you are an effective speaker overall. Although i did not have the opportunity to work with you as a group. your performance during the two presentations are rather impressive. Hope to see you again next semester in some of the modules and all the best for the upcoming tests =]

    Cheers
    Tan Chen

    ReplyDelete