Monday, February 15, 2010

Reflections on CG1102 Meeting 1



My group had its first meeting for the project on Friday, in school. To provide a conducive environment for a meeting, we had booked a discussion room at the central library in advance. It gave us a quiet and ideal place to discuss and to film our meeting. We had read through the requirements of the design project and the tasks required of us, so that made us more prepared and we did not have to waste time reading up on the spot.

During the meeting, I think all of us contributed our ideas spontaneously. Perhaps we were a little conscious of the camera in front of us, as we may have been more formal than usual. However, we spoke to each other instead of facing the camera, which was good. We also encouraged the discussion further by asking each other questions. The group leader helped to facilitate the meeting by moving on to the next topic and directing the discussion. We managed to cover most of the areas that needed to be included in our report. We were open to each other’s differing approaches to the task. Since we had some doubts and needed clarifications, we decided to seek help from our tutor.

As for my personal reflections, I took down notes when my team members said an important detail, and showed them that I was listening to them when they spoke by looking at them. I also contributed my opinions and asked questions. However, I think I could have participated more spontaneously and spoken louder so that what I was saying would have sounded clearer and more confident.

Overall, I feel that our first meeting was a successful one, and we will take note of the flaws in our meeting so as to improve in our next meeting.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Renuka,

    Your meeting sounds great! I can empathise with the camera conscious part, but I guess being more formal than usual is not a bad thing as well. It's good that your group was open to other ideas, because I find that not doing so is ineffective communication, and it often results in complications that eventually balloon into conflicts.

    And regarding the point about spontaneity: I think things like these are dependent on personality. I think as long as your words are clear enough to bring your point across, the confidence is just extra stuff. Good to have, but nothing to worry about I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Renuka,

    It was a good decision to book a discussion room. We forgot to book one and we had to conduct the meeting in an unsuitable environment. (A little noisy) And another good choice is to face to each other rather than the camera. My team did not realize this and we kept facing the camera, which resulted in little eye contact. We will try to improve this next time.

    Your meeting is great and successful. Each of your team is able to prepare well and participate effectively. Moreover, your group was open to everyone's approaches, which not only made the process more effective, but also gave all the team the chance to present themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Renuka

    It is great that your group hade prepared some notes to share beforehand. My group had some pauses during the meeting because we were unclear on some requirements of the question and we had to read the question paper to find out more. Thus, I feel that we should have consulted the lab tutor before our meeting to clarify our doubts before we had our meeting so as to further improve the efficiency of the group. We also had our meeting on the discussion room. I feel that it is great to have meeting there because it is quiet and suitable for videotaping the meeting. It is also great that you took down notes during the meeting. I forgot to do that! I feel that by writing down notes, it also shows that you are really paying attention to what is being said by your group mates. It is a form of respect too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey renuka:

    yea totally agree i think your meeting was a great one =] nice choice of location, unlike more grp which struggled to get a decent place; everybody prepared for the meeting, unlike in some cases ppl only started to read the qn during the meeting; everyone was taking part in the meeting actively, unlike in some cases some participants hardly spoke;also your grp did not seem to be afflicted by the presence of camera, which is again good because well i think a lot of grps suffer from cameraphobia haha.

    hmm however maybe you can talk more abt room for improvement next time, like maybe theres some kind of miscommunication, why you say your grp managed to finish most of agenda not everything, and why didnt you contribute as much as you could have.

    and lastly, yea i totally agreed with geck keat that writing down notes is important!

    ReplyDelete